Comparing cohousing homes to conventional townhomes is like comparing apples to oranges. Cohousing homes include much more than do conventional townhomes or condominiums.
In addition to having private, full-featured homes with their own full kitchens and back yards, Ravens’ Roost residents enjoy:
– 6.2 acres of land, including both forested and open areas;
– A 3800 square foot Common House, including large kitchen and dining area, living room / library, kids’ play room, two guest rooms, and optional laundry room (laundry hookups also available in each home);
– A shared workshop/wood shop equipped with many tools; ski waxing & bike repair areas; craft area; fitness area; and outdoor kids’ play equipment;
– Many raised garden beds, both shared and private; a large garden and high tunnel, garden shed, and compost area;
– A rich social life, emerging again for those who feel Covid-comfortable (all over age 12 are fully vaccinated): optional shared dinners 2 – 3 nights/week, games, music, dancing, conversation, slideshows of trips taken, book club, and other activities with neighbors of all ages;
– A safe place for kids, and other kids for them to play with;
– Increased security in general because 34 households are all watching and know who belongs here;
– Residents know each other, making it easier to find someone they trust to pet sit while they’re away, or to watch their kids for a few hours;
– 6-star energy rating saves money;
– Every household, if they choose, can take part in decision-making by consensus.
– Plans for an orchard, root cellar, and more.
Once moved in, residents save money on utilities, child care, food (when bought in bulk for common meals), entertainment, transportation (it’s easier to carpool, take the bus or bike, and you can walk to the grocery store), etc.
Money is also saved by sharing equipment such as snow blowers, lawn mowers, workshop tools & equipment, sewing machines, etc. Sharing skills such as cooking, gardening, bee-keeping, bike or car repair, canning vegetables, sewing, learning a musical instrument or a foreign language, or brewing beer can save money and be a lot of fun.
One of our team members, an accountant, has offered to sit down with seriously interested people to help pencil out how it may be possible to afford to live in Ravens’ Roost Cohousing.
Only 1 home is Available:
Sunny 3BR, 1.75BA, 1,355 sq. ft end unit, AND all of the above community benefits: $449,000
Enjoy 10′ ceilings in the kitchen and dining rooms, heated floor, added kitchen peninsula, lofts in every bedroom and in garage, 6-star energy efficiency, private back yard (can be fenced if you like), green space to the east and wooded area to the north. With no steps to the front door and a full shower on the ground level, this unit would work for people with limited mobility and enables aging in place.
Call 907-399-2051 to learn more, ask questions, or request a tour.
All 1, 2, and 4 bedroom homes are currently occupied. Call the above phone number to add yourself to our waiting list.